In WordPress you can only change the username through the administration control panel, but you can not change the user login name. You must do it through the database and phpMyAdmin.
I explain how to change user login through database in WordPress in a few steps
1. The first thing you should do is access to the administration panel of your hosting provider. The most common is cPanel, but there are cases in which the interface is different. For example, we have our website on Plesk.
2. From there, look for a section of databases and / or a link to phpMyAdmin. When you find it, click on the link and a web interface will open. Now you are in the phpMyAdmin control panel to work with the tables in your database.
3. Go to the WP_USERS table and click on it. In the USER_LOGIN column, check the user_login name you want to change, click on EDIT.
4. In USER_LOGIN, you have a field VALUE, there you have your user login name. Change to the new name you want to use. Click on GO.
5. You will have a message with the final result.
You can go now to the admin panel of WordPress and check if you new user login name works.
Change the username with a plugin
Another very simple option is to use a plugin. Install it in your WordPress, and then simply go to your plugin section, active it and use it following instructions. That kind of plugin makes the job a lot easier. Simply select the user you want to change the name, specify the new username and save the changes. Search it in your plugin section.
And that’s it! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Keep an eye on, because we have prepared a lot of very interesting tips and tricks for web design.